So, while I didn’t finish my cardigan last night, I did finish it this morning (and consequently had better lighting for photos!)
This cardigan has been in the works for quite a while. I started it over a year ago (June 28th, according to ravelry!). The first blog post about it was July 5th. I’ve had ups and downs with it (remember when my sleeves were different sizes?). But it all came out right in the wash (and block). I asked peoples opinion on the number of buttons (and then promptly changed my mind and decided on 8 :P). And…now it’s finished.
It’s been a long road. The blog doesn’t really show all the sweat and tears that went into it, I think. I don’t want to start the next cardigan yet (which will involve steeks). Although this project has been picked up and put down quite a lot (lesson learnt- you can hide a multitude of sins with a good block), it’s still the end of an era. This was the first cardigan I started (and then ignored for NaNo last year…), and it’s taught me a lot. And now it needs to let me spread my wings and knit another 🙂
So, what have I learnt?
- Blocking solves everything
- I prefer my sleeves and body slightly longer than (this pattern, at least) calls for. At Christmas I’m going to get a complete set of body measurements for future reference
- Next time I’m knitting the sleeves in the round, although they weren’t that bad to seam
- Knitting all the body in 1 was an excellent idea 🙂
- Sewing sleeves into shoulders isn’t that bad, just put in lots of stitch markers to line everything up nicely
- The number of buttons the pattern calls for it probably the best number to go with
- When going on a yarn crawl, take the thing you need buttons for!
- I detest twisted rib, but the effect is *sigh* worth it
- Holy wowsas I look good in fitted cardigans!
- Knit the buttonholes closer to the body next time
I think I need to have a lie down now while I figure out what to do with the rest of my life!