So I guess this might have been better off as a Start-it Sunday post but I think I introduced it a while ago when I started it before and didn’t get gauge *mutter mutter*. At the weekend I started it again, this time on 2.75 mm needles I bought specifically for this project (and I get gauge on it!). So far it’s just a lot of rather boring stocking stitch, with some increases every 7th row. Which is just often enough to not let me get into the swing of things, which is wonderful!
A recap of my gauge issues for those who have joined us late: the gauge for this pattern is 7 stitches an inch, and suggests 2.75mm needles. I *never* get gauge on suggested needle sizes, I always have to go down a size or two. So I happily check gauge (knitting flat rather than in the round, but my gauge is pretty much the same in both of these things), and then leave it long enough that I can’t remember what needles I used to do my swatch *facepalm*. I need to work out a better system for that, but later. I assume that I get gauge on 2,5mm needles, and so I happily cast on for a size on 2mm needles for the ribbing(I forget which. I have later been told that the sleeves are tight and not going downa needle size for the ribbing is a good idea). These sleeves end up comically too short. This happens while I’m up in York for my viva, therefore forcing me to buy yarn for a new sweater (this was my viva jumper, and we’re not going to get into the issues I had getting home…)
Therefore, I use those cuffs for new gauge swatches, this time in a round an on a decent number of stitches (yes, my old gauge might have been a bit too small…). 2.5mm neeldes gives 8 stitches an inch (this is also the gauge I get on 2mm needles for socks…), 3mm needles gives 6 stitches an inch. Guess what I need??? I don’t own any 2.75mm needles, so I order a circular needle (150cm long), figuring that if this doesn’t get me gauge I’ll need to sacrifice to the knitting Gods, and getting a needle this long will allow me to try it on as I go. Luckily, I do get gauge on these needles (yes, it was washed and blocked as I intend to do the finished thing), so we’re good to go. Well, as good as I an be now at any rate. Gauge shall be checked again when the sleeves have been finished. I also decided to do a garter stitch cuff rather than ribbing, as I’ve found that I much prefer sleeves to not be tight. (After knitting 3 of the things…)
But anywhere, here are the sleeves so far:
(One of them has been washed and blocked to check gauge, so it had better not have been lying to me…*squints angrily at the sleeves*)
I’m knitting the third size, with longer sleeves and maybe some attempt at a longer body (and then probably some issues with dye lots as I’m not convinced I have enough brown for the body…we shall see). I also have plans of putting in afterthought pockets- I’m going to repeat the star motif around the neckline twice for the inside of each pocket, so you get a surprise whenever you look in them! I love this idea 😀 (I just need to remember when I reach a convenient point for putting in the knitting in another strand of yarn for the live stitches…