…Totally asking for a friend…
The other day I was cleaning my desk, and came accross my EPP project. So, naturally I stopped tidying and started sewing half hexies together.
I think I’m getting the hang of sewing them together now I’ve done some! And therefore it’s getting exciting again. Like I don’t have quite enough on my plate already. *sigh*. Ahh well, time to go do some more I guess!
The adventure begins: I have now constructed a large( it’s not really, I very rough website gives approx 2,000 half hexies needed(this is for a king sized quilt, I don’t yet know what size I want to make…), I have 36). But anyway, they look really cute here in their box 🙂
I can get this many again in this box I think, so I’ll do that with some other fabric, and then start putting some together. I’ve got a bigger box which will store the next size hexagon up flat (I’ll need 500 of those, roughly…), but after that I’m not sure what I’ll do.
I made 33 of those half hexies yesterday morning, which is a useful idea as to how quickly I can make them, and also allowed me to get into a pretty good rhythm about it all. I like everything in my set up, although I do need a pincushion for the needle I’m using when I’m not sewing with it… Something to make when I finish my current bottle of drink next to me (I need the lid).
So after my brain vomit a long while back here, I did in the end fall down into the EPP rabbit hole (at this point, is nyone really surprised??). It’s slow going (bc it’s not a priority, not bc it’s a massive time sink!). But I’ve now cut up some half hexagons and have started basting the first few. Ad then naturally I had to get a little pouch to keep it all in! Im still waiting on the puch, but it’s hella cute and you’ll see it in the future!
I’m not doing anything typical with the half hexies I’m making (although I do have a cool idea for a second quilt, when I’ve finished this first one). Instead, I’m piecing them together like this:
The yellow hexies are smaller because they’ve been pieced, while the red and blue ones haven’t been yet.
It’s a very mathematical design which Im really thrilled to be doing. Because it’s made recursively (you’re building larger half hexagons from smaller ones, rather than adding small hexagons all the time), I will probably reach a stage where I get heartily bored of wrangling larger and larger half hexies about an chart the damn thing, and then follow a very irritating chart with lots of room for error. We’ll see! I’m not in any rush 🙂
Well done everyone who guessed Thumbelina for July’s (was it the joke about her own size that gave it away?), here’s what I’ve managed so far on her
Here she is in her walnut boat, as she gets away from the mole (who she didn’t want to marry because she would have to live underground!) Left to do is some backstitch on the walnut and her mouth, and then the blue of the water underneath her and a couple of fishes! Hopefully she’ll be finished this weekend, and I’ll be able to move onto August’s block.
So, August’s fairytale? This was written by the Grimn brothers, although it doesn’t seem to be massively dark and depressing. It’s about four OAPs who decide to move to a retirement home especially for them (they all come from different places, but meet up en-route to this retirement home), with lots of lovely entertainment options. However, along the way they find a house to sleep in (and really confusing a band of robbers while they’re at it), and end up staying there until they die.
This week I’ve been working (and nearly finishing) my first sock for the KAL… I wasn’t expecting to have gotten on quite this fast! Especially seeing as how this is the second pair of socks I’m knitting cuff-down. I definitely prefer knitting tow-up! But I guess it’s good to stretch yourself from time to time 🙂
I also didn’t realise until I looked at a picture of the finished pair on ravelry to figure out what I was doing for the foot patterning, that all my slip stitches where YF, when I should’ve had yb. However, I really like what happened! I think it looks like a spirally ladder now, which is really cool! So I’m not upset about this at all.
Then, because I’m insane (in a good way…) I decided that Friday night was an excellent time to start a new craft (shh, I won’t tell if you don’t!). This is a pin cushion I made yesterday and this morning using something called EPP. You cut shapes out of card (in this case hexagons), and fold fabric around them. Then you can stitch the edges of different hexagons together to make the item.
I’m not entirely sure what to do with this now- I don’t want to use it as a pincushion myself, because I like my old one so much! Ahh well.