My first attempt for the sleeves started at 24 stitches. This was “on the tight side”, and eventually I came to my senses and frogged back to start on 28 stitches. Much nicer! I also did a new cast on- basically the cast on for double knitting (the fabric, not yarn weight), and then move stitches around so it all flows nicely. I didn’t make a note of how many increases I did (why would I do something that sensible??), and I did the shoulder cap shaping as stated. It seems a smidge small, so I’ve left the yarn attached so I can more easily frog and reknit if it is too small. (It’ll depend on how big the shoulder shaping is on the body, etc).
I am…not sure I’ve got enough yarn. I ordered half as many skeins as the pattern calls for (I have 5), beause I have twice as much yardage as the yarn the pattern calls for….and I used most of 100g on each sleeve. Leaving me about 3.5 balls for body, collar (and it’s a big collar) and button band. We’ll see. I’m not that fussed about dye lots (watch that come and bite me later!), and it’s not like I’ll have much of a choice if I have to get more anyway… *sigh*
I’ve also found some nice antler buttons, but the shop only had 5, so I emailed them asking whether that was a glitch/when they’ll get more. Hopefully I’ll be able to get them in January (it’s one of my goals:) )
Now, on to knitting the body. I double checked on a favourite jumper, and apparently I actually want this 20 inches accross. *sigh* This is why we check (I had thought I wanted smaller than the smallest size, and instead I want between the second and third sizes. *eyeballs yarn again*). Whhhhhich still ends up being too big when I add in my gauge issues.
Ok, so the smallest size back will come out at 21.5 inches. 1.5 inches is 18 stitches (I have 12 stitches to 4 inches), so let’s go with 46 stitches for the back, and, 9 stitches off each of the fronts for 23 stitches each. This seems wildly wrong (for one thing, this doesn’t include space for the button band), but we’ll try 92 stitches anyway. I can always frog back if necessary (one of the things I’m trying to get better at is frogging when necessary).
Time to get knitting!