A long long time ago (November 2015, according to ravelry), I finished knitting a cardigan. I won’t get into the hassle actually knitting this cardigan was (gauge issues, anyone?), but it was a lovely cardigan, and I loved wearing it (but I need to make future cardigans longer in both the body and arm). Ahem. Anyway.
So, one lovely cardigan, getting quite a lot of wear. And you can also see that the button bands really need reknitting (and the buttons resewing). So when the collar ribbing tore, I put it aside to repair, and I finally got around to repairing it the other day.
- Tore out the collar and buttonhole buttonband. I left the other button band, but the buttons were removed.
- Resewed the buttons on
- Reknitted the buttonhole button band, using double yarn over buttonholes this time to make them smaller, and knitted them closer to the body of the cardigan
- Noticed a small hole at the bottom of the back of the cardigan, and decided to deal with it after knitting the collar (this is just because a) this cardigan has been used quite a lot, the loose yarn isn’t going anywhere, it’s partially felted and b) the yarn is sticky, it doesn’t want to go anywhere anyway)
- Reknitted the collar, ignoring how many stitches the pattern tells me to use
- Examined the hole. Just one strand of yarn had split, so I decided to duplicate stitch on either side of it, incase that yarn wants to run, and do my best to fudge the stitches where I can’t follow the yarn
Fixed! Well, apart from the fact that I can’t duplicate stitch purl and ended up with an extra knit stitch, but that’s hardly a problem! And this yarn isn’t colourfast, so the new work is a different shade of purple to everything, but oh well! That won’t be a problem after I wash it the first time!