In 5 years…
Just a quick heads up- this is a rambling post, so if you just come here for the crafting and pictures, skip this post!
Ok, so the other day the maths wasn’t working, and I was getting rather discouraged. So I decided to think about where I want to be in 5 years. Not just work related, and my career, but in general. And this is what I came up with.
In 5 years I want to…
- be working to increase the mathematical knowledge of the world (probably in academia, but anywhere I can research would be great!). I’d love to have proved the RH by then, but as it’s one of the 7 Millenium problems (that each have a million dollar prize for solving, and are considered to be the important questions currently in mathematics), and considered to be the most important of them, it might take me more than 5 years…maybe 6 and a half?
- own a sewing machine, and hand make half(or so. I don’t know what sort of number would be realistic, but certainly some!) of my wardrobe.
- have made a set of embroidery hoops with maths equations embroidered in
- generally be more crafty! I’m not really sure what this really means, other than maybe trying out lots of different crafts, and regularly doing all the ones I enjoy
- own a pet (or several!) At the moment, this isn’t feasible, as I live in student accommodation, but I fully believe the saying ‘A pet makes the difference between coming home to an empty house and coming home’. I’m thinking cats or rabbits or hamsters.
- play more minecraft. I used to love playing this game, but stopped playing it because I just didn’t have the time. I’ve started playing it again, and loving it. Where I’m going to find the time is another matter!
- do more with my jump stilts. Basically, you stick springs to your legs, and bounce around. (Google ‘jump stilts’ or ‘powerisers’ to see what I’m talking about). I’m going to start going to FreeG sessions at a relatively local gym- I want to be able to somersault on the floor before trying it on my stilts!
- keep doing home-made Christmas presents. Currently I’m still making them, but as I get busier and busier, I may start buying from etsy. We’ll have to wait and see.
- maybe start making my own cards. This is more of a ‘maybe’ than a I want to do this, so it will probably not happen. Although card-making might fall into the remit of ‘craft more’, so it may happen!
- cycle more. I’ve recently become a ride leader with Sky Ride, so I am in charge of rides to get the general public (currently only in the UK)cycling in a safe manner. This is great for finding rides to go on myself, but I’d like to do more. I’m thinking of working my way up to multi-day rides, which I think sounds great right now, but I might change my tune after one!
- start buying more local (and therefore seasonal) produce. This might just be a very temporary I-read-it-on-a-blog-somewhere-and-it-seemed-really-cool thing, but then it might stick!
So, yeah. This is where I kinda want to be in 5 years time! Next year, at Uni, I’m taking a course about self-reflection, with the aim of being a better teacher at the end of it. I’ve started pre-reading some of the books, and this was the result!
So now it’s your turn- where do you want to be in 5 years time? Who do you want to be?What hobbies do you want to have, and how can you go about getting there? (I promise, you won’t see many blog posts like this from me, but there might be the odd one!)