So, wayyyyyyyy back (before I actually went on medical leave, so early April…) I finished another square on the wedding ABC. And here it is in all it’s finished glory.
Posts tagged ‘wedding sampler’
(And some of the swears one utters while dealing with all the backstitching and heart confetti of this rectangle!)
So, I finally got around to picking up the Wedding ABC I started for a friend’s wedding in August (probably. It’s still being planned).
I currently have 6 (and a bit) letters filled in, which means I have 18 (and most of the 19th) still to do, along with the couple’s names and date of the wedding (when it’s been decided), along with all the beading (not too much) and framing (*nervous laughter*). At one square a week (yeah right!), that would take me to 29 June. That gives me a lead time of 5 weeks, plus then July to get it framed etc. I’m thinking that is unlikely in the best, especially given there are other things I also want to make at the same time. Ahh well. I will breathe (or at least try to remember to breahte!) and work on this, and finish it when it gets finished. My friend will understand 🙂
I was planning on starting up the monthly goals again, but since we’re so near the end of January, it isn’t really worth it. I will briefly mention my current projects though, so I can get into it next week when I talk about my February goals…
My main piece is the ‘breathe’ embroidery. I had hoped to have it done by the beginning of January, but hey ho…I’m now hoping to get it done by the end of January. Fingers crossed this happens…
My other piece with a definite time limit is the cross stitch wedding sampler.
Finally, my current big knitting project is still cockatoo brae. I’ve fixed the neckline, and now am procrastinating over picking up the stitches for the button-band, so I will try to make a swatch to see how many stitches I need to pick up. That probably won’t happen until February, but we shall see…
Umm, August happened already, what is going on??? Let’s have a look at what was supposed to happen…
- Finish Mildred’s socks. This is getting stupid now. They are also the last things (on the needles) to give other people, so double incentive to finish them!
Umm, nope. September maybe???
- Sew Kita’s pillowcase together. The procrastination is wildly strong on this one…:/
Yes!!!!!! I finally did the thing! And it can now be posted as their new place
- Work out what on Earth is going on with my cockatoo brae. If it is my gauge I’m going to be annoyed…
Nope. The nope is strong on this one…I have bigger fish to fry right now. This will probably get looked at after Christmas at the rate of things at the moment…
- Work out which socks have the most left to do that are mindless for all the train rides (4, or 5 if you count connections as separate trains) (If I finish the Mildred socks this is totally a good enough excuse to start new socks…)
Nope. I decided to do cross stitch Mill Hill kits, which is definitely a good thing. Now I just need to order some more…
- Bonus: get to the yoke of cockatoo brae, depending on what is going on with it.
Hahahahahaha nope. See above
- Bonus: work out what everyone’s getting for Christmas, and if it’s crafting work out a plan of attack for them…
Yes! So I now have revised plans for the rest of the year!
Ok, so we’re now 2/3 of the way through the year, and I’m throwing out my original plans for the year. Christmas somehow snuck up on me (as if it wasn’t the same time every year…). So, new goals:
- Crochet this elephant for my aunt. This is the only Christmas present I’m making this year (unless I decide to make something for my brother-in-law. I have no idea on what to get him. Any suggestions???)
- See how much of this wedding sampler I can get done. I’ve finished S, so I now have A-H,J-N, T-Z as well as the names, dates and beads. So 20 small sections, beads and backstitching. Arguably z should count as 2-4 sections, but let’s count it as one and plan on doing bits of it while technically working on other sections. 2 sections a month is probably the minimum to keep on track with this, but let’s aim for 3.
- Finish Mildred’s socks. (This is starting to feel a bit silly. All I have left to do is one afterthought heel… I think I’m stuck on picking the stitches up for it, and the fact that the project is at work, and knitting club doesn’t meet during the summer…so that needs to come home to get done.)
So, September goals and a plan of attack:
- Three sections of the wedding sampler. W, X and Y I suppose.
- Bring home Mildred’s socks and pick up the stitches for the heel (baby steps…as soon as I do this the rest of it will just fall into place…)
- Get gauge on the elephant??? IDK, I’m having a mental block on how to deal with the sampler and the elephant goals….halp???
Or should I do two bits for the wedding sampler, and two weeks on the elephant??? Advice please, peoples! Or do I just concentrate on the elephant and see if I can crochet it in a month??? (Actually, I really like that idea… Yeah, let’s go with that one)
Change of plan:
- Finish Mildred’s socks. Just…just do it already.
- Crochet all the bits of the elephant.
- Order Christmas stocking mill hill kits (as in, the Mill Hill kits I think people would like), and make a start on them. There’s 5, and the seagull is one of them. This is one of thse spontaneous plans which is always more trouble than it’s worth, but always just works out for me so I never learn from them…
It feels like I haven’t been doing a lot of cross stitch here, but somehow quite a bit more of the cats cross stitch has been happening (not that you can tell in pics 😛 ). I’ve nearly finished the sitting down one (I’m half way through its tail, which is the last bit to do):
However, it will now get put away, because I finally have a date for the wedding, which means I need to get back onto the wedding sampler…*giggles nervously*
Here’s where I’m up to so far:
I have a year(ish) to finish this thing- the wedding is planned for August next year. That seems like a long time away, but that’s 21 squares still to do. Which means I need to run an average of two squares a month consistently to hit this goal… this is gonna be fun. Other projects? What other projects? Wish me luck peoples!
So it occurred to me the other day that I hadn’t shared the latest finished section of the wedding sampler, so let’s have it here!
And because there isn’t a whole lot else to say about it, have a bonus pic of my scrap blanket as it currently is
I’m very happy to have reached the end of this current round. In future, I think I’ll start all four new rows at the same time, so I don’t get confused about which rows on which rounds I’ve done. I’m really liking this one, especially how it starts from the middle, and it’s still currently small enough to be workable even during this British heat wave (2 more weeks apparently, then we go back to the rain…)
So this was going to be about the socks rather than this cross stitch, but then I actually did some work on it (isnt it amazing that when you work on things, progress gets made???), and I finished the quarrel bit of the wedding sampler. I must admit, I have no idea what it is that I stitched…any ideas?Onto the next bit! R is for romance
Ok, so, phew, I survived my three weeks of slight insanity. Umm. Crafting kinda fell by the wayside, with the result of it all wanting attention NOW. Unfortunately, my holiday is now over and therefore I have to do the work thing…
Anyway, what has been happening? Well, I was in York at the weekend for Pride, so much knitting was accomplished on cockatoo brae (long train trips are made longer by delays…amusingly, the train ticket I had was a complimentary one due to the delays I had coming back from York from my viva…this makes claiming compensation rather awkward…) Anyway, cockatoo brae is coming along well ahead of schedule! As well as all the rows I planned to do this month, I have started the increases as well 🙂
(Isn’t all the brown lovely. Find the sarcasm in the last sentence…)
This weekend I will be teaching my aunt how to crochet jellyfish for premature babies. Naturally, this means I a) need more yarn(and crochet hooks), and b) need to crochet one in the first instance so I know what’s going on. 4ply yarn and a 2mm crochet hook are fun! Fiddly, but fun.
My mother’s socks have been started…just. I really need to get on with these, but I can’t take them home this weekend, since I’m visiting her…These will become my priority when I finish Mildred’s socks.
Speaking of Mildred’s socks, I have one finished and the other one past the toe. Before Pride at the weekend there were three members of knitsoc in a cafe, all knitting socks, all from the toe up, (two on circular, one on DPNS), in various colours and patterns. It was rather surreal to be sat there, and have someone ask what we were knitting, and all three of us saying ‘socks’ in unison. Anyway, these socks need finishing soonish. 🙂 They’ll be coming with me at the weekend.
Finally, the cross stitch wedding sampler has been ignored. But you can have a picture on what was done before but not photographed. Hopefully I’ll come back to this after the weekend (it’s probably a little bit optimistic to think it might happen before the weekend, given how it’s all going!)
Right, that’s me pretty much caught up I think (except for what I’ve been spinning/knitting but that should end up being a blog post by itself sooner rather than later…)
So, things have been busy here, and I have brief moment of calm in the eye of the proverbial storm! And I have some finishes to show off to you all. Firstly: the cross stitch stockings from…ooh, a while ago!
Finished! I’m really happy how these came out, although I have no intention whatsoever of replicating these ever again! Working with the felt was definitely a challenge, but now I’ve mastered it, (basically how to angle the needle to go through the hole cleanly), I don’t feel the need to try it again!
In other news (and another finish!), I finished the second pair of my mothers socks! I’ve had a quick look through my queue for which pair to start next, and I’m overwhelmed…*facepalm*. I’ll have another look tomorrow I think.
It’s finished now, and I’ve done most of the heart above the middle section. Busy busy busy 🙂