So after my brain vomit a long while back here, I did in the end fall down into the EPP rabbit hole (at this point, is nyone really surprised??). It’s slow going (bc it’s not a priority, not bc it’s a massive time sink!). But I’ve now cut up some half hexagons and have started basting the first few. Ad then naturally I had to get a little pouch to keep it all in! Im still waiting on the puch, but it’s hella cute and you’ll see it in the future!
I’m not doing anything typical with the half hexies I’m making (although I do have a cool idea for a second quilt, when I’ve finished this first one). Instead, I’m piecing them together like this:
The yellow hexies are smaller because they’ve been pieced, while the red and blue ones haven’t been yet.
It’s a very mathematical design which Im really thrilled to be doing. Because it’s made recursively (you’re building larger half hexagons from smaller ones, rather than adding small hexagons all the time), I will probably reach a stage where I get heartily bored of wrangling larger and larger half hexies about an chart the damn thing, and then follow a very irritating chart with lots of room for error. We’ll see! I’m not in any rush 🙂